Please read the rules and ponder your prompts. Then sign-up for the exchange with a comment on this post by Sunday, June 14 at noon Pacific Time. Please do promote the game to your friends and followers — new FK fans and old, in every faction, fraction and shade! Let's all revel together in our diversity, in the best FK way! Whom have you brought across? ;-)
Comments are screened. I'll unscreen questions and answer them for all to see. Sign-ups will stay screened, so please ask questions separately from your sign-up.
What’s new for 2015? We'll play mostly as we did in 2014! We've developed one new enhancement and one new contingency:
- Enhancement: The crossover slots may list up to 10 other fandoms (up from 3). It's still just 1 prompt across all crossover possibilities, but if you have 10 fandoms that you'd love to cross with FK, list them all!
- Contingency: In the (hopefully unlikely!) event of 8 or fewer players signing up for the exchange game, making good exchange matches prohibitively difficult in dearly fractious FK, we'll roll over to a good old FKFic-L challenge-style game.
- 05/25-06/14: Exchange sign-ups are open! The count gets posted often.
- 06/14: Exchange sign-ups close. The count gets finalized.
- 06/14-06/15: Exchange assignments are emailed or the challenge prompt is re-posted.
- 07/22: [If exchange] Deadline to default with no penalties at all.
- 08/22-08/23: Stories due on the AO3 (earlier that weekend if an exchange, later if a challenge).
- 08/23: [If exchange] Pinch-hitters recruited if needed.
- 08/24: Stories begin revealing.
Most deadlines are 11:59 PM Pacific Time (one minute to midnight). But the sign-up deadline is noon Pacific Time.
When playing exchange-style, no stories will be revealed until all stories are in or assigned to a pinch-hitter. Stories will probably be revealed 1 per day up to 14 players, and 2 per day beyond 14 players. Stories will release in an order determined by me to help maximize readability and fun for everyone (rotating among genres, ratings, lengths, characters, etc.).
Your mod is me! brightknightie/brightknightie/brightknightie (Amy R.). You may remember me from the PSU email lists or know me recently from LJ/DW/AO3. All FKFicFest admin statements come from me. Please contact me directly at my DW or LJ accounts, or my personal email address (the same one I’ve used on the FK lists since '99).
As you may know, I hate surprises. If something in the game is awry, please let me try to help in advance. Please give me as much of a heads-up as you can. Ask early! Get it fixed before it causes harm! :-)
FKFicFest celebrates the remarkable television show Forever Knight (1992-1996) and its wonderful fans! Each day of our festival, I'll (1) reveal a story from the community's AO3 collection and (2) announce the story on DW and LJ. (ForKni-L gets announcements, too, but not daily.)
Primary: Exchange game (9 or more sign-ups)
Each player (1) submits a slate of 3-4 prompts, (2) receives in return a slate of 3-4 prompts submitted by someone else, (3) writes 1 story (or story sequence) of at least 1,000 words (or draws 1 picture of at least 500x500 pixels) to fulfill any one of the 3-4 prompts received, (4) receives 1 story (or picture) that fulfills 1 of the prompts submitted, and (5) a wonderful Forever Knight time is had by all.
Contingency: Challenge game (8 or fewer sign-ups)
Anyone who wishes to play writes 1 story (or story sequence) of at least 1,000 words (or draws 1 picture of at least 500x500 pixels) reflecting her/his own character, plot and thematic choices while addressing the community prompt in common. This is the "Worth it?" Challenge (i.e. "It was worth it." or "It wasn't worth it.") See examples below.
- So that's 3-4 prompts, but only 1 story or picture?
Yes. In an exchange game, each player submits and receives 3-4 prompts, but writes 1 story (or draws 1 picture). Writing more than 1 story is allowed, but isn't required, expected or typical. (In the event of a challenge game, there's only the 1 community prompt.)
- Why 3-4 instead of 3 or 4?
The 4th prompt slot is for crossover prompts only. Some players choose not to submit crossover prompts.
- What are the 3-4 kinds of prompts?
Players must submit 1 gen, 1 pairing, and 1 wildcard prompt. Players may submit 1 crossover prompt. This gives the writer/artist options! In FKFicFest, we use these definitions:
- Required: "Gen" is primarily about anything other than romantic/sexual relationships or activities. Stories primarily about solving a crime, finding a cure, saving a life, losing a life, fixing the Caddy's heater... these are "gen." (Yes, romance and sex may be mentioned in gen! But as minor elements.)
- Required: "Pairing" is primarily about romantic and/or sexual relationships or activities. Stories primarily about finding love, losing love, having sex, getting married, entertaining such fantasies... these are "pairing." (Yes, mysteries may be solved, lives saved and heaters fixed in pairing stories! Pairing may or may not be PWP.)
Important: M/f, f/f and m/m are all equally allowed, rated and respected in FKFicFest.
- Required: "Wildcard" may be anything except a crossover. It may be another gen prompt, another pairing prompt, or whatever. (This is the best place for poly-specific requests.)
- Optional: "Crossover" crosses or fuses Forever Knight with another fandom such that FK receives more than half of the story focus (minimum 51% FK, however you measure). The crossover request may be gen, pairing or wildcard, and it may identify any other fandom (up to 10 fandom possibilities) that complies with all rules. (Matching on crossover fandoms is chancy at best! Please have realistic expectations.)
Tip: An ampersand ("&") means gen. A slash ("/") means pairing. (For example, "Nick & Lacroix" is a gen, Cousin-of-the-Knight prompt, while "Nick/Lacroix" is a pairing, Unnamed Faction prompt.)
- How long must/may a story be?
All stories must be a minimum of 1,000 words. But a series of closely related shorter stories (including stories using the popular "5 Times" frame) are also allowed, as long as they (1) add up to at least 1,000 words, and (2) post within a single file on the AO3 (the chapter functionality helps with this).
We have no maximum length for stories posted directly to the AO3.
- What about beta-reading?
Yes, please! :-) Borrow a fresh pair of eyes, and then revise and edit! Please show off your great ideas to their best advantage with good spelling, grammar, punctuation, fact-checking and canon-checking! Yay! (There will be a post to help beta-readers and writers to find each other.)
- CANS O' WORMS! What is forbidden?
- Underage sex. No character who is or appears to be under the age of 18 may be depicted "on screen" in sexual activity. Such activity may happen "off screen." (For example, Divia sex scenes are prohibited.)
- Human incest. No characters with human family consanguinity within the third degree may be depicted "on screen" in sexual activity with each other. Such activity may happen "off screen." (For example, Richard/Natalie is prohibited.)
- Real people. No real private individuals. But public figures may appear consistent with the example of FK canon. (For example, Saint Joan in "For I Have Sinned," Rasputin in "Strings," Hitler in "Jane Doe," Jack the Ripper in "Bad Blood" and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle in "Blind Faith.")
- Trolling or flaming. If I believe that you've trolled or flamed, I will ban you. This community is pro-Forever Knight, diversity, tolerance, kindness, respect, truth, justice and the Canadian Way … oh, wait, that's the Knightie Creed. But you know the drill! Constructive criticism is fine. Bashing is not.
- What if I have to drop out?
We'll understand. We'll also be sorry to lose you!
In an exchange game, for any drop-outs, I must scramble for a back-up writer ("pinch hitter"), so an exchange game has deadlines and penalties. If you know you're going to drop out of the exchange, please do so by one month before the due date. The deadline to drop out without any penalty or recriminations is July 22, 2015.
If something unavoidable comes up in the final month, please talk to me as soon as possible! Don’t just vanish! I'll try to work something out with you, but I can do that only if you get in touch and stay in touch. (Seriously, do not surprise me.) Anyone defaulting by not posting as agreed and/or not responding to my emails/PMs about a missing story will not be allowed to participate in future FKFicFest ficathons, and nobody wants that! We all want to play together again!
In a challenge game, there are no penalties for dropping out. Just guilt for disappointing us all. ;-)
- When can I post my story elsewhere?
Please wait until after the last story is revealed in the ficathon before also posting your story away from the ficathon. By all means, please do point out your story as soon as it's revealed! Invite your friends and followers to both your story and to everyone else's stories in the ficathon! But please wait until the game's "masterlist" goes up to post elsewhere.
- What if I don’t have an AO3 account?
Ask me for an invitation! The AO3 is very easy to use. (If you have a personal reason for avoiding the AO3, you may post to our community on DW or LJ. If you need this exception, please discuss it with me in advance.)
- How do the “announcements” work?
Each story gets an "announcement" to our DW and LJ communities (and ForKni-L) with a link to the story on the AO3.
- Please do write your own announcement in the format below and post it to the community queue on LJ, DW or both. (Why? Posting yourself means that any comments go directly to you!)
- I'll release your announcement(s) on LJ and DW after I release your story on the AO3.
- If you don't create an announcement for LJ or DW or both, that’s okay! I'll create and post them for you.
- How do visual artists participate?
As part of signing up, all players will state (1) whether they wish to play as a writer or as a visual artist, and (2) whether they prefer to receive a story or a picture in answer to their prompts. (Most people will receive stories, regardless, because most players will be writers.)
All rules (including content rules) apply to visual artists exactly as to writers, with these specific variations:
- The picture must be created from scratch, not from screenshots. That is, all forms of original drawing and painting (whether by hand, mouse or other tool) are eligible, but manips and collages (which begin with existing images) are not eligible. (I make manips and collages myself. This is not a slam at those art forms! It's just a parameter for exchange gameplay.)
- The image must be at least 500x500 pixels. There is no maximum.
- The image must be hosted on the artist’s own webspace, somewhere the mod can see and confirm it in advance, but where it will not draw attention in advance that would spoil the reveal. (LJ and DW scrapbooks are okay! So is Deviantart!)
- Using an “img” tag and an “a” tag, the AO3 post should display/embed a thumbnail that links to the full-sized image, if the AO3 layout doesn't accommodate the full-sized image itself. (People do this on the AO3 with vids all the time, and I've personally done it with stills. It works.)
- Please note that comic strips and animation drawn/painted from scratch are eligible, but vids from existing footage are not. (An FK vidfest would be a blast! But this isn't that.)
- What's with all the jargon? -or- Help! I don't know the factions!
Faction/affiliation names and other jargon from the PSU lists and the show itself are some of the joys of FK fandom! But our special FK language has evolved through generations of fans. In our prompts, let's translate for each other, defining "Immortal Beloved" or "IB" as "Nick/Janette," for example. For more information on factions, check out the detailed "Factions" entry on the FK Wiki. Or … ask!
In the (hopefully unlikely!) event that 8 or fewer players sign up for the exchange game this year, here's what we'll do:
- The submitted exchange prompt slates would be discarded.
- We would play challenge-style:
- Everyone writes for the same 1 common prompt, selecting her/his own characters, plot and theme.
- There are no individual recipients (just all of us together).
- There's still a submission deadline and release schedule, but there's no default deadline or penalty.
The 2015 contingency challenge prompt is:
(as in "Was it worth it?", "It was worth it", "It wasn't worth it," "It is worth it", "It isn't worth it", etc.)
Naturally, every FK fan would have a completely different approach to "Worth it?" For example, here are just a few scenarios that could answer the common prompt:
- "Natalie watches someone else take the Nobel Prize for research that she did first, better, in secret. The larger world won't remember her name. But her efforts weren't without rewards."
- "Facing the Enforcers' wrath in Nicolas's place during the US Civil War puts Lacroix ahead in the endless quid pro quo tally between them. Then Nicolas unexpectedly pays it back and raises the stakes. Lacroix is not comfortable owing Nicholas for anything, but he may not have a choice."
- "Just when Stonetree submits Schanke's name for promotion, an infection lands Jenny in the hospital."
- "In the first nights after Urs becomes a vampire, Vachon, Urs and Bourbon are all convinced that Vachon made a serious mistake with her. Screed knows better; Urs never forgets."
- "In an alternate version of 'A More Permanent Hell,' Spark makes Natalie a vampire and the asteroid does come, ending civilization."
- "At first, vampirism totally destabilizes Feliks Twist. He wonders whether he made the wrong decision in the place between life and death. Then he reconnects with life and growth through botany."
- "In a terrible daylight disaster, Nick is determined to save Janette, Lacroix is determined to save Nick, and Janette is determined to save herself. Two of the three survive."
- "Nick isn't able to catch a dangerous criminal who goes on to hurt innocents. Lacroix insinuates that this is due to Nick's regimen of animal blood, and, for the first time since Sylvaine, Nick seriously considers the possibility of returning to consuming human blood."
How to post your story to the AO3
Posting directly to our community collection on the AO3 gives many advantages! The most popular advantage is that authors can edit their stories while the stories sit in the queue. If you find a last-minute typo, or have a last-minute inspiration, you can get right in there before your story releases.
When you finish your story, please post it to the 2015 FKFicFest collection on the AO3. It's very important to add your story to the collection when you post! If you don't add it to the FKFicFest collection, your story will be visible to everyone immediately, instead of veiled as a “mystery story” awaiting its turn. Please note that the parent FKFicFest collection is permanently closed; stories should always post to the applicable annual sub-collection (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015).
- Click the “Post New” button.
- In the “Tags” block, select a rating and set any applicable warnings. Enter Forever Knight as the fandom and identify the correct category (gen, m/f, etc.). Additional tagging (characters, relationships, etc.) is recommended but not required.
- In the “Preface” block, enter your title and identify yourself as the author. A summary and notes are recommended but not required. (Note that clicking one of the two checkboxes for notes locations opens the text box for notes content.)
- In the “Associations” block:
- Enter “2015_FKFicFest” for “Post to Collections / Challenges.” THIS IS VITAL!
- Then, if we're playing exchange-style, enter your recipient’s AO3 username for “Gift this work to.” (If we're playing challenge-style, there's no individualrecipient.)
- Finally, select any of the other options that apply. (Don’t forget the “This work has multiple chapters” option, if applicable.)
- In the “Work Text” block, paste your story. Note that you may work in “plain text with limited HTML” or click the “Rich Text” button.
- In the “Post” block, consider using “Preview” before posting.
- Then post! Your story will be visible to you (and to me), but everyone else will see a “mystery work” until the reveal.
How to post your announcement to the community
Please write your own announcement in the format given below, and post it to the community queue on DW, LJ or both. I'll release your announcement(s) on LJ and DW after I release your story on the AO3. (If you don't create announcements, that’s okay! I'll create and post them for you.)
Remember that LJ and DW use different username tags (“lj user=brightknightie” vs “user name=brightknightie”). If that’s confusing, just write the usernames in plain text.
- Give your announcement post a subject line with your title, rating and type (gen or pairing).
- In the header text block, list at least your title, author, recipient, beta-reader, rating, and any warnings. (Any more is up to you.) The template is below, so you can copy-and-paste, and fill it in. Please note that we use the "white on white" warnings format, so that people can choose to avoid spoilers.
Tip: If your story is a crossover, also identify the other fandom!
- At the bottom of the header block, check that you've inserted your title and URL to link to your story post on the AO3.
- Select the applicable tags.
- Check that your post is not friends-locked, and that it has the appropriate “adult content” setting if applicable.
- Submit the post to the community.
The community is set to moderated posting on both LJ and DW. Your announcement post will go into the queue, and will stay there, invisible and unreachable, until I release it. (I can delete posts from the queue as needed, but you can't update them once submitted.)
Example announcement subject lines and headers
|Natalie's announcement subject line and text might look like this:||Janette's announcement subject line and text might look like this:|
|"Drawing from Life" by Natlamb (PG, gen) (FK/MCU)
Title: "Drawing from Life"
Crossover: Forever Knight/Marvel Cinematic Universe
Prompt: Nick Knight & Steve Rogers. "I will take up my pencil, which I have forsaken in my great discouragement, and I will go on with my drawing." --Vincent Van Gogh
Length: 1,300 words
Rating/Warnings: PG-13. Highlight to view: * No Warnings *
Summary: Detective Knight receives a mysterious summons from Ottowa to consult on a top-secret project code-named 'Alpha Flight.' Fearing an Enforcer trap, Nick hurries to disappear. Then, an old soldier and fellow artist reappears in his life.
|"A High-Walled Garden" by Raven2U (NC-17, m/f)
Title: "A High-Walled Garden"
Prompt: Tracy/Vachon. Tracy's interest in past lives disturbs Vachon.
Length: 3,481 words
Characters: Tracy, Vachon, Nick, Urs, Reese, Natalie, Screed, Others
Rating/Warnings: NC-17. Highlight to view: * explicit sex, explicit violence, character death *
Summary: As Tracy's forays into past-life regression reveal lifetimes-spanning entanglements, Vachon must decide whether to admit this bond or to run. He's always been good at running. Destiny? Not so much.
Tip: You can post your announcement to your own journal — set “private,” so no one else can see it! — before posting it to the community queue. This lets you check its appearance and link.
To sign up for this exchange game, reply to this post with your answers to the little form below. (Please try to wish big and demand little!) And of course don't bash; please just say clearly what is and isn't your cup of Ribena.
The sign-up template
|If Nick were playing with us, his sign-up might look like this:||If Lacroix were playing with us, his sign-up might look like this:|
AO3 Username: NickBK
|LJ/DW/AO3 Username: Rosebud
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Are you playing as a writer or as a visual artist? Writer
FOR YOUR WRITER TO SEE
REQUIRED: Gen Request
Characters: Lacroix & Nick
Prompt: The Nightcrawler wins a major broadcasting award. Nicholas is impressed. The Enforcers are not.
REQUIRED: Pairing Request
Prompt: When Nicholas has amnesia in "Night in Question," Lacroix resists taking advantage. But when Nicholas's memories are back and he's grappling with the aftermath of the so-called demon possession, what Lacroix wants is what he's sure Nicholas needs.
REQUIRED: Wildcard Request
Characters: Nick/Janette & Lacroix -or- Lacroix/Nick & Janette -or- Lacroix/Nick/Janette
Prompt: a solar eclipse
OPTIONAL: Crossover Request
Fandom(s): MCU or The X-Files
Characters: Lacroix & Fury -or- Lacroix & Skinner
Prompt: "Three can keep a secret, if two of them are dead."
Faction/Affiliation or Favorite Character: Cousin, UF, Valentine, Faithful, Seducer, Dark Knightie…
Preferred Ratings Range: No limits
5 things you LOVE to read: plot, metaphor, Nicholas embracing vampirism, Lacroix winning, vampire eroticism
5 things you AVOID reading: fluff, Nicholas regaining mortality, Lacroix stymied, Nicholas/Natalie, mpreg
"Dear Author" letter: http://www.cerk.com/rosebud/
FOR YOUR MOD TO USE
3 things you will NOT create: Nicholas regaining humanity, Nicholas romancing a mortal successfully, "Lite" Lacroix
3 things you LOVE to create: Nicholas/Janette, Nicholas embracing vampirism, monologues
Are you willing to be a back-up writer/artist? Yes
Do you prefer to receive a story or a picture in reply to your prompts? Either is fine
How much do you want to write/draw a crossover? Neutral
If you're willing to write/draw a crossover, please name up to 10 fandoms in which you'd enjoy doing that: MCU and/or 616, Person of Interest, Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte, First Century CE RPF, The Borgias, Motive
Want to know more about your recipient's preferences? Check out your recipient's journal or fanfic! If you have friends in common, you can ask them. But please try to keep secret from your recipient that you're the match. In an exchange, your story is a surprise gift to your specific recipient (as well as a treat for all FK fanfic readers).
Thank you very much for playing! It'll be a blast. Yay, Forever Knight! Yay, us! This is our "next 800 years together," you know. :-)